We use cookies to personalise the website and offer you the greatest added value. They are, among other purposes, used to analyse visitor usage in order to improve the website for you. By using this website, you agree to their use. Further information can be found in our data privacy statement.

Foreign Tax Credit for Individuals


​​U.S. citizens and residents working inside or outside the U.S. are generally required to file U.S. annual income tax returns reporting their worldwide income/deductions. If these individuals are also subject to income tax in a foreign country, there is a potential for double taxation (tax on the same income by two different countries). One method of mitigating double taxation issues is the foreign tax credit. The foreign income in question must be reported and subjected to taxation on the U.S. income tax return; however, a credit against U.S. income tax may be available based upon the amount of foreign income tax paid with respect to the applicable income. U.S. citizens and residents who qualify for this credit must elect to utilize it and calculate the applicable credit on Form 1116.


Elisa Fay


Partner-in-Charge Rödl National Tax

+1 404 525 2600

Send inquiry


Contact Person Picture

Deutschland Weltweit Search Menu